[Devel] LTP syscall failures

Christian Kaiser2 CKAISER2 at de.ibm.com
Mon May 21 00:47:31 PDT 2007

Hi,

I did some testing with the LTP Regression Test Suite
(http://ltp.sourceforge.net) inside a VE the last days. When I enable all
capabilites except "setpcap" I get one warning and three failures. When I
run the tests native (in VE0) I get no errors. I tested it with several
Kernels including the latest 2.6.18 and 2.6.20 from the git repository, all
with the same results.

I run the syscall test suite of ltp-20070430 as root with the command:
./runltp -p -q -f syscalls -l `date +"%Y-%m-%d_%H-%M-%S"`

Failed tests: syslog12, ustat01, ustat02

Output:
        syslog12
                syslog system call: read and/or clear kernel message ring
                                buffer; set console_loglevel

                syslog12    5  FAIL  :  syslog() returned unexpected
results for
                                console level less than 0 ; returned 0
(expected -1), errno 0 (expected 22)
                syslog12    6  FAIL  :  syslog() returned unexpected
results for console level
                                greater than 8 ; returned 0 (expected -1),
errno 0 (expected 22)

        ustat0[1-2]
                ustat system call: get filesystem statistics

                ustat01     1  FAIL  :  ustat(2) failed and setthe errno to
13
                                : Permission denied
                ustat02     1  PASS  :  ustat(2) expected failure; Got
errno - EINVAL :
                                Invalid parameter
                ustat02     2  FAIL  :  ustat(2) failed to produce expected
error; 14, errno:
                                EFAULT and got 13

As you can see the syslog12 and ustat02 tests fail because they return
other error values than expected. The ustat01 test fails because of
unsufficient permissions.

Is there someone out who wants to confirm or to comment why these System
Call Tests fail?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards
Christian Kaiser

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Open Systems Firmware Development
mail: ckaiser2 at de.ibm.com

IBM Deutschland Entwicklung GmbH
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Johann Weihen
Geschäftsführung: Herbert Kircher
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Böblingen