[Devel] Documentation on Development

Kir Kolyshkin kir at openvz.org
Fri May 11 06:00:41 PDT 2007

Hello Christian,

To begin with, OpenVZ is 95% platform-independent that makes porting
quite easy. We have already ported to POWER, although we don't have
access to POWER hardware at the moment :(

We keep the sources of our kernels in git repository, see
http://git.openvz.org/. You might start working with either 2.6.18-based
or 2.6.20-based kernel, or both.

Regarding the porting process, there is some basic information on our
wiki here: http://wiki.openvz.org/Porting_the_kernel. You can certainly
post all your questions (and patches) here, and can rely on support from
our kernel team.

Having said that, there is one feature that is very arch-specific. This
is checkpointing, an ability to freeze a VE and dump its complete state
into a file (and later restore it) -- a precursor for live migration
feature. If you want to port this stuff, you need to dig deep into
kernel/cpt/ and ask questions to this list.

As for the testing, aside from basic functionality, we usually run VE
start/stop test -- the idea is to have many VEs starting and stopping in
parallel -- trying to catch some locking bugs etc. Unfortunately we do
not have any tests open sourced, but we will definitely want to help
testing as well.