[Devel] Re: Summary of resource management discussion

Paul Jackson pj at sgi.com
Fri Mar 16 14:23:56 PDT 2007

Herbert wrote:
> looks good to me, except for the potential issue with
> the double indirection introducing too much overhear

It's not the indirection count that I worry about.

It's the scalability of the locking.  We must avoid as
much as possible adding any global locks on key code paths.
This means:
 1) be reluctant to add them to fork/exit
 2) just RCU locks on per-job (or finer grain) data when on
	the normal page allocation path
 3) nothing outside the current task context for the normal
	task scheduling code path.

A global lock on the wrong code path is fatal for scaling
big NUMA boxes.

... now whether or not that is an issue here, I don't claim
to know.   I'm just worried that it could be.

Atomic data, such as global counters, is just as bad.

--
                  I won't rest till it's the best ...
                  Programmer, Linux Scalability