[Devel] Monitoring /proc/user_beancounters via Perl Script?

Steven Schubiger steven.schubiger at xwave.ch
Tue Mar 13 08:29:02 PDT 2007

Hi,

As part of my daily work, I've developed a Perl script that alerts whenever
the "failcnt" field within /proc/user_beancounters is subject to change. The
script is actually run via cron which is recommended practice.

We'd like to release it to the public in order to support other people out
there running OpenVZ servers. It was written in Perl and uses some funky
datastructures to represent the current state of the statistics. Furthermore,
these structures are dumped to a CSV file and compared against the
ones hold in memory. If they differ, an alert will be sent to one or more
recipients.

The script will be now located at a temporary location until someone
participates in providing webspace & an official URL for it.

Critique, suggestions & ideas are welcome and may be addressed to me
at <steven.schubiger at xwave.ch.remove>.

http://www.refcnt.org/code/perl/monbean

PS: Don't forget to rename monbean.pl.txt to monbean.pl

Steven

--
Xwave GmbH
Josefstrasse 92