[Devel] Re: Summary of resource management discussion

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Tue Mar 13 09:24:59 PDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 06:12:26PM +0530, Srivatsa Vaddagiri wrote:
> [...]
>
> What mechanism do we use to group tasks for res mgmt purposes?

> a. Paul Menage's container(/uh-a-diff-name-pls?) patches
>
> 	The patches introduce a new pointer in task_struct, struct
> 	container_group *containers, and a new structure 'struct container'.
>
> 	Tasks pointing to the same 'struct container' object (via their
> 	tsk->containers->container[] pointer) are considered to form
> 	a group associated with that container. The attributes associated
> 	with a container (ex: cpu_limit, rss_limit, cpus/mems_allowed) are
> 	decided by the options passed to mount command (which binds
> 	one/more/all resource controllers to a hierarchy).
>
> 	+ For workload management, where it is desirable to manage resource
> 	  consumption of a run-time defined (potentially arbitrary) group of
> 	  tasks, then this patch is handy, as no existing pointers in
> 	  task_struct can be used to form such a run-time decided group.
>
> 	- (subjective!) If there is a existing grouping mechanism already (say
> 	  tsk->nsproxy[->pid_ns]) over which res control needs to be applied,
> 	  then the new grouping mechanism can be considered redundant (it can
> 	  eat up unnecessary space in task_struct)
>
>           What may help avoid this redundancy is to re-build existing
> 	  grouping mechanism (say tsk->nsproxy) using the container patches.
> 	  Serge however expressed some doubts on such a implementation
> 	  (for ex: how will one build hierarchical cpusets and non-hierarchical
> 	  namespaces using that single 'grouping' pointer in task_struct) and
> 	  also felt it may slow down things a bit from namespaces pov (more
> 	  dereferences reqd to get to a task's namespace).
>
> b. Reuse existing pointers in task_struct, tsk->nsproxy or better perhaps
>    tsk->nsproxy->pid_ns, as the means to group tasks (rcfs patches)
>
> 	This is based on the observation that the group of tasks whose resource
> 	consumption need to be managed is already defined in the kernel by
> 	existing pointers (either tsk->nsproxy or tsk->nsproxy->pid_ns)
>
> 	+ reuses existing grouping mechanism in kernel
>
> 	- mixes resource and name spaces (?)
>
> c. Introduce yet-another new structure ('struct res_ctl?') which houses
>    resource control (& possibly pid_ns?) parameters and a new pointer to this
>    structure in task_struct (Herbert Poetzl).
>
>   	Tasks that have a pointer to the same 'struct res_ctl' are considered
> 	to form a group for res mgmt purpose
>
> 	+ Accessing res ctl information in scheduler fast path is
> 	  optimized (only two-dereferences required)
>
> 	- If all resource control parameters (cpu, memory, io etc) are
> 	  lumped together in same structure, it makes it hard to
> 	  have resource classes (cpu, mem etc) that are independent of
> 	  each other.
>
> 	- If we introduce several pointers in task_struct to allow
> 	  separation of resource classes, then it will increase storage space
> 	  in task_struct and also fork time (we have to take ref count
> 	  on more than one object now). Herbert thinks this is worthy
> 	  tradeoff for the benefit gained in scheduler fast paths.

what about identifying different resource categories and
handling them according to the typical usage pattern?

like the following:

 - cpu and scheduler related accounting/limits
 - memory related accounting/limits
 - network related accounting/limits
 - generic/file system related accounting/limits

I don't worry too much about having the generic/file stuff
attached to the nsproxy, but the cpu/sched stuff might be
better off being directly reachable from the task
(the memory related stuff might be placed in a zone or so)

> 2. Where do we put resource control parameters for a group?
>
> 	This depends on 1. So the options are:
>
> a. Paul Menage's patches:
>
> 	(tsk->containers->container[cpu_ctlr.subsys_id] - X)->cpu_limit
>
>    An optimized version of the above is:
> 	(tsk->containers->subsys[cpu_ctlr.subsys_id] - X)->cpu_limit
>

> b. rcfs
> 	tsk->nsproxy->ctlr_data[cpu_ctlr.subsys_id]->cpu_limit
>
> c. Herbert's proposal
> 	tsk->res_ctl->cpu_limit

see above, but yes ...

> 3. How are cpusets related to vserver/containers?
>
> 	Should it be possible to, lets say, create exclusive cpusets and
> 	attach containers to different cpusets?

that is what Linux-VServer does atm, i.e. you can put
an entire guest into a specific cpu set

> 4. Interface
> 	Filesystem vs system call
>
> 	Filesystem:
> 		+ natural way to represent hierarchical data
> 		+ File permission model convenient to delegate
> 	  	  management of part of a tree to one user
> 		+ Ease of use with scripts
>
> 		(from Herbet Poetzl):
>
> 		- performance of filesystem interfaces is quite bad
> 		- you need to do a lot to make the fs consistant for
> 		  e.g. find and friends (regarding links and filesize)
> 		- you have a quite hard time to do atomic operations
> 		  (except for the ioctl interface, which nobody likes)
> 		- vfs/mnt namespaces complicate the access to this
> 		  new filesystem once you start moving around (between
> 	          the spaces)
>

> 5. If we use filesystem interface, then should it be in /proc? (Eric)
>
> 	- /proc doesn't allow the flexibility of say creating multiple
> 	  hierarchies and binding different resource controllers to each
> 	  hierarchy
>
> 6. As tasks move around namespaces/resource-classes, their
>    tsk->nsproxy/containers object will change. Do we simple create
>    a new nsproxy/containers object or optimize storage by searching
>    for one which matches the task's new requirements?
>
> 	- Linux Vserver follows former approach i.e simply creates
> 	  a new nsproxy with pointers to required namespace objects

which I consider suboptimal, but it was straight forward
to implement ...

> 7. Hierarchy
>
> 	- For res mgmt, do we need to worry about hierarchy at all?
>
> 		- If we consider cpuset to be a resource controller,
> 	 	  then we have one resource controller who already
> 		  supports hierarchy
>
> 		- If we don't support hierarchy in res controllers today
> 		  but were to add that support later, then
> 		  user-interface shouldn't change. That's why
> 		  designining -atleast- the user interface to support
> 		  hierarchy may make sense
>
> 	- Do we let resource classes to be split independent of each?
>
> 	  For ex: CPU resource classes are independent of memory resource
> 	  classes. This inturn affect whether the Paul Menage's patches
> 	  need to support multiple hierarchy feature.

thanks,
Herbert