[Devel] Re: Pid namespace patchsets review

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Sat Mar 10 14:05:59 PST 2007

On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 11:05:43PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

> It is good to see these patches are starting to come together.
>
> Be patient a good review is going to take me a little bit.
>
> A couple of immediate things I see that would be nice to address before
> we aim at merging these patches upstream.
>
> - Since there are known cases that we still need to convert to use
>   struct pid can we disable the clone/unshare unless we have the
>   CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL flag set. And a comment in Kconfig saying we
>   are almost but not quite there yet. With that in place I would have
>   no problems with the idea of merging all of the bits needed to have
>   multiple pid namespaces before we finish making the code pid namespace
>   safe.

IMHO not the best idea, mainly because both OpenVZ
and Linux-VServer will end up either duplicating
the pid code or using the incomplete (broken) version
which probably gives the pid space a bad start ...

I'd prefer to focus on fixing up the existing pid
issues (conversion) first, then hitting it with a
hopefully working pid namespace ...

YMMV

> - When we do the rename can we please rename it task_proxy and have
>   the functions follow that naming. The resource limiting conversation
>   seems to be going in that direction, and it more general then what we
>   are using now.

hmm, nsproxy was unusual but kind of understandable,
task_proxy sounds just weird to me, I'd definitely
prefer nsproxy over task_proxy, but I'm open for
more 'space' related names too, like spaces or
space_proxy or space_group ...

best,
Herbert