[Devel] Re: [patch -rss] Make RSS accounting display more user friendly

Kirill Korotaev dev at sw.ru
Tue Jun 26 07:05:53 PDT 2007

Balbir Singh wrote:
> Kirill Korotaev wrote:
>
>>Paul Menage wrote:

>>>Having input in bytes seems pretty natural to me. Why not just have
>>>the RSS controller round the input to the nearest page (or whatever
>>>granularity of memory the controller is able to limit at)?
>>
>>totally agree with Paul.
>>
>>Kirill
>>

> Kirill
>
> If someone assigns a rss_limit of 1 byte and sees a usage of 1 page,
> won't that be confusing. But having said that it's not a big
> change, it should be easy to accommodate.

Well, from my expirience pages are hardly understandable by people.
So bytes are always better and more convinient for non-programmers.
Rounding is not that big issue, since people still get the result
they expect (unlike to the case when they mess up with the page size).

Thanks,
Kirill

P.S. 1 byte limit is not that common :)