[Devel] Re: containers (was Re: -mm merge plans for 2.6.23)

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Wed Jul 11 12:44:42 PDT 2007

On 7/10/07, Andrew Morton <akpm at linux-foundation.org> wrote:

> I'm inclined to take the cautious route here - I don't think people will be
> dying for the CFS thingy (which I didn't even know about?) in .23, and it's
> rather a lot of infrastructure to add for a CPU scheduler configurator

Selecting the relevant patches to give enough of the container
framework to support a CFS container subsystem (slightly
tweaked/updated versions of the base patch, procfs interface patch and
tasks file interface patch) is about 1600 lines in kernel/container.c
and another 200 in kernel/container.h, which is about 99% of the
non-documentation changes.

So not tiny, but it's not very intrusive on the rest of the kernel,
and would avoid having to introduce a temporary API based on uids.

Paul