[Devel] Re: containers development plans (July 10 version)

Andrew Morton akpm at linux-foundation.org
Tue Jul 10 16:49:49 PDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:39:43 -0500
"Serge E. Hallyn" <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:

> We are trying to create a roadmap for the next year of
> 'container' development, to be reported to the upcoming kernel
> summit.  Containers here is a bit of an ambiguous term, so we are
> taking it to mean all of:
>
> 	1. namespaces
>                 kernel resource namespaces to support resource isolation
>                 and virtualization for virtual servers and application
>                 checkpoint/restart.
> 	2. task containers framework
>                 the task containers (or, as Paul Jackson suggests, resource
>                 containers) framework by Paul Menage which especially
>                 provides a framework for subsystems which perform resource
>                 accounting and limits.
> 	3. checkpoint/restart

I would suggest that this material be fleshed out quite a lot with usage
scenarios, applications, etc.  Something which will help the kernel team at
large understand the *value* of this work: what it offers our users.

Because people generally don't know that stuff yet.  And if one starts
explaining all this complexity, bug-potentiality and overhead-potentiality
to kernel developers without first making it very clear what it will be
gaining us, they will revolt.

IOW: do not presume that people want *any* of this stuff at this stage.
First up, they need to get all fired up about how cool it all will be ;)