[Devel] Re: containers development plans

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Mon Jul 9 22:56:56 PDT 2007

On 7/2/07, Serge E. Hallyn <serge at hallyn.com> wrote:
>        4. task containers functionality

How about if we adopt "process containers" or "task containers" as the
term for the generic container framework, to distinguish from more
general user-space containers? In the same way that "task_struct" in
the kernel is understood to be separate from the concept of a "task"
in a job scheduling system in userspace.

>                base features

Features that I'd like to see in the short and medum term:

- support for virtualized containerfs mounts, so that virtual servers
can mount their own containerfs and manage sub-containers

- automatically prefixing control file names with the subsystem name,
unless changed or disabled by the user at mount time

- removing unnecessary locking where possible.

- simplifying the control file API

- a userspace RBCE along with simple configuration so that you can
easily use generic containers to apply subsystem controls on a
per-user, per-group, per-pgrp, per-executable, etc, basis. (E.g. to
easily apply CFS to be fair between pgrps rather than fair between
processes)

>                specific containers
>                        poll to see who has plans

Some possible subsystems that I'm thinking of include:

- splitting the memory and cpu isolation parts of cpusets into two
separate subsystems (still backwards-compatible)

- some kind of network connect/bind/accept controller. Eric came up
with a nice way of doing this by adding iptables hooks for
connect/bind/accept, and then adding an iptables match module that
could match based on container id. This would give us all the
flexibility of iptables and the existing iptables tools. The drawback
is that it could be rather tricky to virtualize. A less flexible
solution that just allowed you to specify permitted
local-port-range/remote-port-range/remote-netmask tuples would be more
virtualizable, even if it doesn't make as much reuse of existing
iptables support.

- some way of controlling which network flow ids (used as inputs into
standard Linux queueing) processes in a container can use.

- userspace per-container OOM handler, maybe as part of cpusets or
some other memory controller.

Paul