[Devel] Re: netns summary (was Re: containers development plans)

Denis V. Lunev den at sw.ru
Fri Jul 6 09:45:05 PDT 2007

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Cedric Le Goater <clg at fr.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> Serge E. Hallyn wrote:
>>> We are trying to create a roadmap for the next year of
>>> 'container' development, to be reported to the upcoming kernel
>>> summit.  Containers here is a bit of an ambiguous term, so we are
>>> taking it to mean all of:
>>>
>>> 	1. namespaces
>>> 	2. process containers
>>> 	3. checkpoint/restart
>>>
>>> Naturally we can't actually predict what will and won't be worked on,
>>> let alone what will be going upstream.  But the following is a list
>>> of features which it seems rvseasonable to think might be worked on
>>> next year:
>>>
>>>        1. completion of ongoing namespaces
>>>                pid namespace
>>>                net namespace
>> I'm not sure if this has been said already :
>>
>> At OLS, we had a talk with denis, pavel, eric, daniel, benjamin and others,
>> and we agreed to cooperate on eric's netns patchset which seems to satisfy
>> most of the stake holders :

With a small thing, though.

We have agreed that we should submit infrastructure pieces one by one,
like daniel propose. These pieces are common for all approaches and they
 will increase the probability of the inclusion of the main piece. We
also agree, that the net namespace management mechanism should be the
same for all containers.
As for approach, we have agreed that we MUST have a second option as
there is a great probability that Dave Miller will reject Eric patches
again and again.

Regards,
	Den