[Devel] Re: utrace regressions (was: -mm merge plans for 2.6.21)

Roland McGrath roland at redhat.com
Mon Feb 12 13:36:34 PST 2007

> We're aware of two regressions compared to mainline if ptrace is utrace:

Thanks very much for bringing these to my attention.

> 1) zero holes for PTRACE_PEEKUSR vanished.

I've fixed this in the current patches.

> 2. The following proggie renders box unusable in ~10 seconds (but not
>    mainline kernel where Ctrl+C will kill process).

I haven't been able to reproduce this so far on my test machine.  I got
bored after about 10 minutes ("passed: 119200000").  The machine remains
responsive and the test dies immediately on hitting C-c.  I'll try it on
some other machines.  It would help to know what kind of unusable (crashy,
leaky, wedgey?).

Thanks,
Roland