[Devel] Catching the console

Roman Kagan rkagan at sw.ru
Thu Dec 13 00:16:26 PST 2007

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:27:01PM +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> No I'd like to request an feature for catching the console.
> IMHO, it's enough to have an option to vzctl start, which tells
> it to not to detach and bring the VE's console to the current tty.

Unfortunately this is much trickier than that.  The problem is that at
some point you'll want to detach the VE0's end; with standard Unix98
ptys this will result in SIGHUP being sent to all processes in the VE
whose controlling terminal is the console.  Besides, there are certain
implications for online migration of the VEs - you should leave no
references to the VE0 objects that can't be reconstructed on the
destination node.

So it looks like there's no pure userspace solution.  OTOH adding the
kernel support for it doesn't look impossible off-hand; I'll have a
look.

Roman.