[Devel] kernel thread accounted to a VE

Eric Keller ekeller at Princeton.EDU
Tue Dec 11 09:11:09 PST 2007

Is it possible to start a kernel thread and then move it to a particular
VE?

I have the following code inside of a kernel thread:
envid_t _veid = 200;
// enter that VE
unsigned flags = VE_ENTER;
int err = real_env_create(_veid, flags, 0, 0, 0); // the last 3
arguments are only used if flags is VE_CREATE

I needed to modify ve_move_task() a bit.  It has the following
assignment:  tsk->mm->vps_dumpable = 0;    But for kernel_threads,
tsk->mm is NULL, so I just check if it's null and don't do the
assignment if it is null.  Other than that, it appears to be
successful.  It returns successful and in the VE I moved the task to, I
can see a new process running (using top).

The problem is, I set a cpu limit for that VE to 10%, yet I can see this
thread go well above that amount (~50%).  User processes do get limited
when I run them, so I know it's not a setting issue (unless there's
something special I need to do for kernel threads).  Note that I do not
want to allow the VEs to install kernel modules, so I want the host
system to do it on their behalf for a very specific circumstance.

Any ideas of what I'm doing wrong or what it'll take to make this work?

Thanks,
Eric