[Devel] Re: namespace support requires network modules to say "GPL"

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Sun Dec 2 11:28:56 PST 2007

Stephen Hemminger wrote:

>> Naw, enterprise (or any other) distro vendors shouldn't have any issues here,
>> since they can just patch their kernels around any issues.
>>
>> But it looks like Eric has this one thought out well enough.
>>

> So you are saying all this is not a problem, fine.
> Any affected parties can certainly lobby for themselves. But I suspect
> they all think the kernel community is a bunch of ... and will just ignore
> the problem.

I have a binary module that uses dev_get_by_name...it's sort of a
bridge-like thing and
needs user-space to tell it which device to listen for packets on...

This code doesn't need or care about name-spaces, so I don't see how it
could really
be infringing on the author's code (any worse than loading a binary
driver into the kernel
ever does).

I would certainly prefer to not have to patch around any problems with
calling dev_get_by_name
from a non-gpl module, but if required, I can probably figure something
out...

Thanks,
Ben

--