[Devel] Re: namespace support requires network modules to say "GPL"

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Sat Dec 1 12:52:05 PST 2007

Mark Lord <lkml at rtr.ca> writes:

>>> Can we get this resolved before 2.6.24 is released? Going back and forth
>>> on API's is just needless frottage.
>>
>> Sure.  We keep the updated dev_get_by_XXXX that takes a network
>> namespace parameter.
> ..
>
> And what should code be passing in when "# CONFIG_NET_NS is not set" ?

Mostly CONFIG_NET_NS is a define to keep us from exposing the feature to
user space not to remove the code impact.  People could not stand the
look of the code that would actually allow us to compile everything out.

So all of the struct net * fields remain when !CONFIG_NET_NS.
Including the global variable init_net.

Eric