[Devel] Re: Getting the new RxRPC patches upstream

Oleg Nesterov oleg at tv-sign.ru
Mon Apr 23 10:11:57 PDT 2007

On 04/23, David Howells wrote:

> > We only care when del_timer() returns true. In that case, if the timer
> > function still runs (possible for single-threaded wqs), it has already
> > passed __queue_work().
>
> Why do you assume that?

If del_timer() returns true, the timer was pending. This means it was started
by work->func() (note that __run_timers() clears timer_pending() before calling
timer->function). This in turn means that delayed_work_timer_fn() has already
called __queue_work(dwork), otherwise work->func() has no chance to run.

When del_timer() returns true and delayed_work_timer_fn() doesn't run we are
safe, this doesn't differ from del_timer_sync().

Oleg.