[Devel] Re: [patch 7/8] allow unprivileged mounts

Shaya Potter spotter at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Apr 21 17:46:25 PDT 2007

Andrew Morton wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:25:39 +0200 Miklos Szeredi <miklos at szeredi.hu> wrote:
>
>> Define a new fs flag FS_SAFE, which denotes, that unprivileged
>> mounting of this filesystem may not constitute a security problem.
>>
>> Since most filesystems haven't been designed with unprivileged
>> mounting in mind, a thorough audit is needed before setting this flag.
>
> Practically speaking, is there any realistic likelihood that any filesystem
> apart from FUSE will ever use this?

Would it be interesting to support mounting of external file systems (be
it USB, NFS or whatever) in a way that automatically forces it to ignore
suid and devices (which are already mount time options)?   The question
I guess is, how much do you gain over a setuid program (hack?) that can
handle this?