[Devel] Re: [patch 7/8] allow unprivileged mounts

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Sat Apr 21 09:57:10 PDT 2007

Jan Engelhardt <jengelh at linux01.gwdg.de> writes:

>>> Practically speaking, is there any realistic likelihood that any filesystem
>>> apart from FUSE will ever use this?
>>
>>Also potentially some of the kernel virtual filesystems.  /proc should
>>be safe already.  If you don't have any kind of backing store this problem
>>gets easier.
>
> tmpfs!

tmpfs is a possible problem because it can consume lots of ram/swap.  Which
is why it has limits on the amount of space it can consume.  Those are set as
mount options as I recall.  Which means that we would need to do something
different with respect to limits before tmpfs could become safe for
an untrusted user to mount.

Still it's close.

Eric