[Devel] Re: [patch 05/10] add "permit user mounts in new namespace" clone flag

Miklos Szeredi miklos at szeredi.hu
Tue Apr 17 10:44:09 PDT 2007

> I'm a bit lost about what is currently done and who advocates for what.
>
> It seems to me the MNT_ALLOWUSERMNT (or whatever :) flag should be
> propagated.  In the /share rbind+chroot example, I assume the admin
> would start by doing
>
> 	mount --bind /share /share
> 	mount --make-slave /share
> 	mount --bind -o allow_user_mounts /share (or whatever)
> 	mount --make-shared /share
>
> then on login, pam does
>
> 	chroot /share/$USER
>
> or some sort of
>
> 	mount --bind /share /home/$USER/root
> 	chroot /home/$USER/root
>
> or whatever.  In any case, the user cannot make user mounts except under
> /share, and any cloned namespaces will still allow user mounts.

I don't quite understand your method.  This is how I think of it:

mount --make-rshared /
mkdir -p /mnt/ns/$USER
mount --rbind / /mnt/ns/$USER
mount --make-rslave /mnt/ns/$USER
mount --set-flags --recursive -oallowusermnt /mnt/ns/$USER
chroot /mnt/ns/$USER
su - $USER

I did actually try something equivalent (without the fancy mount
commands though), and it worked fine.  The only "problem" is the
proliferation of mounts in /proc/mounts.  There was a recently posted
patch in AppArmor, that at least hides unreachable mounts from
/proc/mounts, so the user wouldn't see all those.  But it could still
be pretty confusing to the sysadmin.

So in that sense doing it the complicated way, by first cloning the
namespace, and then copying and sharing mounts individually which need
to be shared could relieve this somewhat.

Another point: user mounts under /proc and /sys shouldn't be allowed.
There are files there (at least in /proc) that are seemingly writable
by the user, but they are still not writable in the sense, that
"normal" files are.

Anyway, there are lots of userspace policy issues, but those don't
impact the kernel part.

As for the original question of propagating the "allowusermnt" flag, I
think it doesn't matter, as long as it's consistent and documented.

Propagating some mount flags and not propagating others is
inconsistent and confusing, so I wouldn't want that.  Currently
remount doesn't propagate mount flags, that may be a bug, dunno.

Miklos