[Devel] Re: [patch 05/10] Add "permit user submounts" flag to vfsmount

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 17 07:33:01 PDT 2007

Quoting Miklos Szeredi (miklos at szeredi.hu):
> > > From: Miklos Szeredi <mszeredi at suse.cz>
> > >
> > > If MNT_USERMNT flag is not set in the target vfsmount, then
> >
> > MNT_USER and MNT_USERMNT?  I claim no way will people keep those
> > straight.  How about MNT_ALLOWUSER and MNT_USER?
>
> Umm, is "allowuser" more clear than "usermnt"?  What is allowed to the

I think so, yes.  One makes it clear that we're talking about allowing
user (somethings :), one might just as well mean "this is a user mount."

> user?  "allowusermnt" may be more descriptive, but it's a bit too
> long.

Yes, if it weren't too long it would by far have been my preference.
Maybe despite the length we should still go with it...

> I don't think it matters all that much, the user will have to look up
> the semantics in the manpage anyway.  Is "nosuid" descriptive?  Not
> very much, but we got used to it.

nosuid is quite clear.  MNT_USER and MNT_USERMNT are so confusing that
in the time I go from quitting the manpage to foregrounding my editor, I
may have already forgotten which was which.

-serge