[Devel] Re: [Users] OpenVZ and the Ubuntu Upstart init daemon

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 7 14:29:09 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 23:20 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:

> > G'day.  I have been playing with the 'upstart' daemon that replaces
> > the traditional /sbin/init process in Ubuntu Edgy and Feisty.
> >
> > I didn't have a huge degree of luck with this -- once I allocated a
> > tty for the console I ended up with the system failing during the
> > bootstrap process.
> >
> > Before investing more time in this I was wondering if anyone else had
> > been working on getting upstart to cooperate in the OpenVZ boot
> > process?
>
> I spent some more time tracking this down and seem to be a conflict
> between the expectations of the Upstart process and the environment
> provided by OpenVZ when starting init in a new VE.

I appreciate your debugging efforts; I've been asking OpenVZ users to
help with the problem for some time with little avail.

> All the testing was with vzctl 3.0.16-1dso2 (from Debian/testing) and
> Upstart 0.3.8 from Feisty.
>
> At issue are the expectations about file description layout that are
> made in init/main.c of upstart; on line 150 the 'control_open' method is
> called.
[...]
> This causes the control_open method to bind file description 0 to the
> Unix domain socket -- and the later loop to carefully close the socket
> again.

This was a bug introduced relatively recently while clearing out the
main() function, and has already been fixed in bzr trunk:

http://codebrowse.launchpad.net/~keybuk/upstart/main/revision/scott%
40netsplit.com-20070313191319-gztu8c0r0sjla0hp?start_revid=scott%
40netsplit.com-20070316171800-scmrd6w9r22uf4me

I've had reports of OpenVZ failing for some time before this though; can
you confirm that with this patch, Upstart works correctly?

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
Ubuntu Development Manager