[Devel] Re: 64bit DMA in i2o_block

Markus Lidel Markus.Lidel at shadowconnect.com
Fri Sep 22 04:47:56 PDT 2006

Hello,

Andi Kleen wrote:
> Markus Lidel <Markus.Lidel at shadowconnect.com> writes:
>> I believe it's a driver issue. Do you have a testing-system where you
>> could try out the appended patch?
> So it would bug instead?

Yes, because ATM i don't know why it doesn't work. It's just for debugging.

> Can you please just get rid of that CONFIG? Such things shouldn't
> be CONFIGs, but have a suitable default. In particular drivers
> running under 64bit should always support 64bit DMA.

The 64-bit DMA is only available on Adaptec controllers, all other I2O
controllers only work with 32-bit DMA. Although the 64-bit DMA is (as far
as i can remember) slower then the 32-bit DMA and is therefore only
useful on systems which run out of memory.

Best regards,

Markus Lidel
Markus Lidel (Senior IT Consultant)

Shadow Connect GmbH