[Devel] Re: [ckrm-tech] [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Wed Sep 20 10:37:19 PDT 2006

On 9/20/06, Rohit Seth <rohitseth at google.com> wrote:

> cpusets provides cpu and memory NODES binding to tasks.  And I think it
> works great for NUMA machines where you have different nodes with its
> own set of CPUs and memory.  The number of those nodes on a commodity HW
> is still 1.  And they can have 8-16 CPUs and in access of 100G of
> memory.  You may start using fake nodes (untested territory) to

I've been experimenting with this, and it's looking promising.

> Containers also provide a mechanism to move files to containers. Any
> further references to this file come from the same container rather than
> the container which is bringing in a new page.

This could be done with memory nodes too - a vma can specify its
memory policy, so binding individual files to nodes shouldn't be hard.

> In future there will be more handlers like CPU and disk that can be
> easily embeded into this container infrastructure.

I think that at least the userspace API for adding more handlers would
need to be defined before actually committing a container patch, even
if the kernel code isn't yet extensible. The CKRM/RG interface is a
good start towards this.

Paul