[Devel] Re: [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction

Nick Piggin nickpiggin at yahoo.com.au
Tue Sep 19 22:39:00 PDT 2006

Rohit Seth wrote:

>Containers:

[...]

>This is based on lot of discussions over last month or so.  I hope this
>patch set is something that we can agree and more support can be added
>on top of this.  Please provide feedback and add other extensions that
>are useful in the TODO list.

Hi Rohit,

Sorry for the late reply. I was just about to comment on your earlier
patchset but I will do so here instead.

Anyway I don't think I have much to say other than: this is almost
exactly as I had imagined the memory resource tracking should look
like. Just a small number of hooks and a very simple set of rules for
tracking allocations. Also, the possibility to track kernel
allocations as a whole rather than at individual callsites (which
shouldn't be too difficult to implement).

If anything I would perhaps even argue for further cutting down the
number of hooks and add them back as they prove to be needed.

I'm not sure about containers & workload management people, but from
a core mm/ perspective I see no reason why this couldn't get in,
given review and testing. Great!

Nick