[Devel] Re: [RFC] network namespaces

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Sat Sep 9 19:47:09 PDT 2006

On Sat, Sep 09, 2006 at 11:57:24AM +0400, Dmitry Mishin wrote:
> On Friday 08 September 2006 22:11, Herbert Poetzl wrote:
> > actually the light-weight ip isolation runs perfectly
> > fine _without_ CAP_NET_ADMIN, as you do not want the
> > guest to be able to mess with the 'configured' ips at
> > all (not to speak of interfaces here)

> It was only an example. I'm thinking about how to implement flexible
> solution, which permits light-weight ip isolation as well as
> full-fledged netwrok virtualization. Another solution is to split
> CONFIG_NET_NAMESPACE. Is it good for you?

well, I think it would be best to have both, as
they are complementary to some degree, and IMHO
both, the full virtualization _and_ the isolation
will require a separate namespace to work, I also
think that limiting the isolation to something
very simple (like one IP + network or so) would
be acceptable for a start, because especially
multi IP or network range checks require a little
more efford to get them right ...

I do not think that folks would want to recompile
their kernel just to get a light-weight guest or
a fully virtualized one

best,
Herbert