[Devel] Re: [ckrm-tech] [patch00/05]: Containers(V2)- Introduction

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Thu Sep 21 13:10:22 PDT 2006

On 9/21/06, Chandra Seetharaman <sekharan at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> > The current fake numa support requires you to choose your node layout
> > at boot time - I've been working with 64 fake nodes of 128M each,
> > which gives a reasonable granularity for dividing a machine between
> > multiple different sized jobs.
>
> It still will not satisfy what OpenVZ/Container folks are looking for:
> 100s of containers.

Right - so fake-numa is not the right solution for everyone, and I
never suggested that it is. (Having said that, there are discussions
underway to make the zone-based approach more practical - if you could
have dynamically-resizable nodes, this would be more applicable to
openvz).

But, there's no reason that the OpenVZ resource control mechanisms
couldn't be hooked into a generic process container mechanism along
with cpusets and RG.

Paul