[Devel] Re: [Q] ide cdrom in native mode leads to irq storm?

Vasily Averin vvs at sw.ru
Fri Oct 27 06:17:34 PDT 2006

Vasily Averin wrote:
>> there is node with Intel 7520-based motherboard (MSI-9136), IDE cdrom (hda) and
>> SATA disc and 2.6.19-rc3 linux kernel.
>>
>> When I set IDE controller into the native mode, I get irq storm on the node and
>> this interrupt is disabled. If this interrupt is shared, the other subsystems
>> are stop working too.
>>
>> When I switch the IDE controller into legacy mode, all works correctly.

I have reproduced the same issue on the another node:

ASUSTeK P5GD1-VM,
Intel 915G chipset,
ICH6 IDE controller,
IDE dvdrom: SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615 (hda),
sata disk: WDC WD1600JS-00M

when I switch IDE controller to the native mode, I see "Disabling IRQ" message,
then kernel generates an oops in create_empty_buffers(), like I've reported earlier.

Could somebody please help me to troubleshoot this issue? I've seen this issue
on the customer nodes and would like to know how I can work-around this issue
without any changes inside motherboard BIOS.

thank you,
	Vasily Averin