[Devel] Re: [Users] OpenVZ tools

Ola Lundqvist opal at debian.org
Tue Oct 17 11:58:48 PDT 2006

Hi

Do you plan to do something based on debootstrap or something else?

Regards,

// Ola

On Mon, Oct 16, 2006 at 05:02:51PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Oct 2006, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
>
> > Dag Wieers wrote:
> >
> > > We modified the vzyum tool and created a similar vzapt tool. But
> > > while doing that I figured that the current infrastructure (written in
> > > shell) is somewhat insufficient to create clean, proper reusable code.
> > >
> > > Also the config-files are pretty shell-oriented.
> > >
> > > Are there any plans to redo them ?
> >
> > To be honest -- I'd love to. I suppose you want Python -- this is fine with
> > me. It'd be great to start from scratch, but be aware that
> > developing/maintaining package management tools leads to endless pain and
> > suffering (I assume you probably know that already:)).
>
> I have found that pain bearable. :)
>
> I do prefer python, but any similar language will do.
>

> > So, we can set up a git repo (and a component in bugzilla) and start working
> > on some "next-generation package management tools".
>
> That's fine.
>

> > Although I do not see any problem with "shell-oriented" config files. They are
> > easy to edit and can be easily read from any code (be it C or Perl or Python
> > or whatever). So, can you be more specific and tell us why you don't like such
> > configs?
>
> I understand that switching would be hard. But a better syntax would allow
> more interesting things. I like python's configuration format and syntax,
> but anything better would do.
>
> The shell-variable way of doing things is limited and prone to errors.
> Plus I generally do not prefer the lowest common denominator as a standard
> ;-)
>
> Kind regards,
> --   dag wieers,  dag at wieers.com,  http://dag.wieers.com/   --
> [all I want is a warm bed and a kind word and unlimited power]

/  opal at debian.org                     Annebergsslingan 37      \
|  opal at lysator.liu.se                 654 65 KARLSTAD          |
|  +46 (0)54-10 14 30                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |