[Devel] Re: [RFC] network namespaces

Daniel Lezcano dlezcano at fr.ibm.com
Wed Oct 4 02:40:32 PDT 2006

Andrey Savochkin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to resurrect our discussion about network namespaces.
> In our previous discussions it appeared that we have rather polar concepts
> which seemed hard to reconcile.
> Now I have an idea how to look at all discussed concepts to enable everyone's
> usage scenario.

Hi Andrey,

I have a few questions ... sorry for asking so late ;)

> 1. The most straightforward concept is complete separation of namespaces,
>    covering device list, routing tables, netfilter tables, socket hashes, and
>    everything else.
>
>    On input path, each packet is tagged with namespace right from the
>    place where it appears from a device, and is processed by each layer
>    in the context of this namespace.

If you have the namespace where is coming the packet, why do you tag the
packet instead of switching to the right namespace ?

>    Non-root namespaces communicate with the outside world in two ways: by
>    owning hardware devices, or receiving packets forwarded them by their parent
>    namespace via pass-through device.

Do you will do proxy arp and ip forwarding into the root namespace in
order to make non-root namespace visible from the outside world ?

Regards.

	-- Daniel