[Devel] Re: namespace and nsproxy syscalls

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 3 07:43:57 PDT 2006

Quoting Herbert Poetzl (herbert at 13thfloor.at):
> > > how to avoid having duplicate identifiers when there
> > > is a chance that the same pid will be used again
> > > to create a second namespace?
> >
> > Well at least that's simple, the pid will no longer be a valid handle to
> > the first namespace ever since that process died  :)
>
> which simply makes it inaccesible which is not
> what you actually want, sorry ...

Nonsense.  It is still accessible via any other pids for processes in
that namespace.  (i.e. if you're in pidns 1, and (pidns 2, pid 1)
has started (pidns 2, pid 2) and then exited, then (pidns 2, pid 2)
will also be known by some (pidns 1, pid X), so you can access the
namespace via pid X from your pidns 1 process.

How to actually find a pid that will last long enough for you to find
it and then access it is an exercise left to the reader  :)

In other words, I was saying that the duplicate identifiers is not a
bug, but I thought I had left it clearly implied that the approach not
practical, and we will need namespace ids.

-serge