[Devel] Re: Network virtualization/isolation

Brian Haley brian.haley at hp.com
Wed Nov 29 12:21:00 PST 2006

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> I think for cases across network socket namespaces it should
> be a matter for the rules, to decide if the connection should
> happen and what error code to return if the connection does not
> happen.
>
> There is a potential in this to have an ambiguous case where two
> applications can be listening for connections on the same socket
> on the same port and both will allow the connection.  If that
> is the case I believe the proper definition is the first socket
> that we find that will accept the connection gets the connection.

Wouldn't you want to catch this at bind() and/or configuration time and
fail?  Having overlapping namespaces/rules seems undesirable, since as
Herbert said, can get you "unexpected behaviour".

> I think with the appropriate set of rules it provides what is needed
> for application migration.  I.e. 127.0.0.1 can be filtered so that
> you can only connect to sockets in your current container.
>
> It does get a little odd because it does allow for the possibility
> that you can have multiple connected sockets with same source ip,
> source port, destination ip, destination port.  If the rules are
> setup appropriately.  I don't see that peculiarity being visible on
> the outside network so it shouldn't be a problem.

So if they're using the same protocol (eg TCP), how is it decided which
one gets an incoming packet?  Maybe I'm missing something as I don't
understand your inside/outside network reference - is that to the
loopback address comment in the previous paragraph?

Thanks,

-Brian