[Devel] Re: Network virtualization/isolation

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Sat Nov 25 11:26:45 PST 2006

"Leonid Grossman" <Leonid.Grossman at neterion.com> writes:

> [...]

Pushing it all of the way into the hardware is an optimization, that while
great is likely not necessary.  Simply doing a table lookup by
link-level address and selecting between several network interfaces
is enough to ensure we only traverse the network stack once.

To keep overhead down in the container case I don't need the hardware
support to be so good you can do kernel bypass and still trust that
everything is safe.  I simply a fast link-level address to container
mapping.  We already look at the link-level address on every packet
received so that should not generate any extra cache misses.

In the worst case I might need someone to go as far as the Grand
Unified Lookup to remove all of the overheads.  Except for
distributing the work load more evenly across the machine with
separate interrupts and the like I see no need for separate hardware
channels to make things go fast for my needs.

Despite the title of this thread there is no virtualization or
emulation of the hardware involved.  Just enhancements to the existing
hardware abstractions.

Eric