[Devel] Re: [ckrm-tech] [RFC] Resource Management - Infrastructure choices

Paul Menage menage at google.com
Wed Nov 1 23:40:43 PST 2006

On 11/1/06, Chris Friesen <cfriesen at nortel.com> wrote:
> Paul Menage wrote:
>
> > The framework should be flexible enough to let controllers register
> > any control parameters (via the filesystem?) that they need, but it
> > shouldn't contain explicit concepts like guarantees and limits.
>
> If the framework was able to handle arbitrary control parameters, that
> would certainly be interesting.
>
> Presumably there would be some way for the controllers to be called from
> the framework to validate those parameters?

The approach that I had in mind was that each controller could
register what ever control files it wanted, which would appear in the
filesystem directories for each container; reads and writes on those
files would invoke handlers in the controller. The framework wouldn't
care about the semantics of those control files. See the containers
patch that I posted last month for some examples of this.

Paul