[Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Sam Vilain sam at vilain.net
Wed Mar 29 14:44:47 PST 2006

Dave Hansen wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 12:51 +0400, Kirill Korotaev wrote:
>

>>Eric, we have a GIT repo on openvz.org already:
>>http://git.openvz.org
>>

>Git is great for getting patches and lots of updates out, but I'm not
>sure it is idea for what we're trying to do.  We'll need things reviewed
>at each step, especially because we're going to be touching so much
>common code.
>
>I'd guess set of quilt (or patch-utils) patches is probably best,
>especially if we're trying to get stuff into -mm first.

The apparent problem is that the git commit history on a branch cannot
be unwound.  However, that is fine - just make another branch and put
your new sequence of commits there.

Tools exist that allow you to wind and unwind the commit history
arbitrarily to revise patches before they are published on a branch that
you don't want to just delete.  For instance:

stacked git

  http://www.procode.org/stgit/

or patchy git

  http://www.spearce.org/2006/02/pg-version-0111-released.html

are examples of such tools.

I recommend starting with stacked git, it really is nice.

Sam.