[Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Kir Kolyshkin kir at sacred.ru
Tue Mar 28 14:24:09 PST 2006

Sam Vilain wrote:

>On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 10:45 +0400, Kir Kolyshkin wrote:
>

>>It is actually not a future goal, but rather a reality. Since os-level
>>virtualization overhead is very low (1-2 per cent or so), one can run
>>hundreds of VEs.
>>

>Huh?  You managed to measure it!?  Or do you just mean "negligible" by
>"1-2 per cent" ?  :-)

We run different tests to measure OpenVZ/Virtuozzo overhead, as we do
care much for that stuff. I do not remember all the gory details at the
moment, but I gave the correct numbers: "1-2 per cent or so".

There are things such as networking (OpenVZ's venet device) overhead, a
fair cpu scheduler overhead, something else.

Why do you think it can not be measured? It either can be, or it is too
low to be measured reliably (a fraction of a per cent or so).

Regards,
  Kir.