[Devel] Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Matt Ayres matta at tektonic.net
Tue Mar 28 09:04:50 PST 2006

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> Matt Ayres <matta at tektonic.net> writes:
>
>> I think the Xen guys would disagree with you on this.  Xen claims <3% overhead
>> on the XenSource site.
>>
>> Where did you get these figures from?  What Xen version did you test? What was
>> your configuration? Did you have kernel debugging enabled? You can't just post
>> numbers without the data to back it up, especially when it conflicts greatly
>> with the Xen developers statements.  AFAIK Xen is well on it's way to inclusion
>> into the mainstream kernel.
>
> It doesn't matter.  The proof that Xen has more overhead is trivial
> Xen does more, and Xen clients don't share resources well.

I understand the difference. It was more about Kirill grabbing numbers
out of the air.  I actually think the containers and Xen complement each
other very well.  As Xen is now based on 2.6.16 (as are both VServer and
OVZ) it makes sense to run a few Xen domains that then in turn run
containers in some scenarios.  As far as the last part, Xen doesn't
share resources at all :)

Thank you,
Matt Ayres