[Devel] Re: Network namespaces a path to mergable code.

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Wed Jun 28 10:40:06 PDT 2006

On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:22:40PM +0400, Andrey Savochkin wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 10:51:26AM -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> > Andrey Savochkin <saw at swsoft.com> writes:
> >
> > > One possible option to resolve this question is to show 2
> > > relatively short patches just introducing namespaces for sockets
> > > in 2 ways: with explicit function parameters and using implicit
> > > current context. Then people can compare them and vote. Do you
> > > think it's worth the effort?
> >
> > Given that we have two strong opinions in different directions I
> > think it is worth the effort to resolve this.
>
> Do you have time to extract necessary parts of your old patch? Or you
> aren't afraid of letting me draft an alternative version of socket
> namespaces basing on your code? :)
>
> > In a slightly different vein your second patch introduced a lot of
> > #ifdef CONFIG_NET_NS in C files. That is something we need to look
> > closely at.
> >
> > So I think the abstraction that we use to access per network
> > namespace variables needs some work if we are going to allow the
> > ability to compile out all of the namespace code. The explicit
> > versus implicit lookup is just one dimension of that problem.
> This is a good comment.
>
> Those ifdef's mostly correspond to places where we walk over lists and
> need to filter-out entities not belonging to a specific namespace.
> Those places about the same in your and my implementation. We can
> think what we can do with them. One trick that I used on several
> occasions is net_ns_same macro which doesn't evalute its arguments if
> CONFIG_NET_NS not defined, and thus can be used without ifdef's.

yes, I think almost all of those cases can be avoided
while making the code even more readable by using
proper preprocessor (or even inline) mechanisms

> Returning to implicit vs explicit function arguments, I belive that
> implicit arguments are more promising in having zero impact on the
> code when CONFIG_NET_NS is disabled. Functions like inet_addr_type
> will translate into exactly the same code as they did without net
> namespace patches.

maybe a preprocessor wrapper can help here too ...

> > > What helper functions are you referring to?
> >
> > Basically most of the device list walker functions live in.
> > net/core/dev.c
> >
> > I don't know if the cases you fixed could have used any of those
> > helper functions but it certainly has me asking that question.
> >
> > A general pattern that happens in cleanups is the discovery
> > that code using an old interface in a problematic way really
> > could be done much better another way.  I didn't dig enough
> > to see if that was the case in any of the code that you changed.
>
> Well, there is obvious improvement of this kind: many protocols walk
> over device list to find devices with non-NULL protocol specific
> pointers. For example, IPv6, decnet and others do it on module
> unloading to clean up. Those places just ask for some simpler standard
> way of doing it, but I wasn't bold enough for such radical change.

> Do you think I should try?

IMHO it could not hurt to have some kind of protocol
helper library functions or macros ...

best,
Herbert