[Devel] Re: [patch 3/4] Network namespaces: IPv4 FIB/routing in namespaces

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Wed Jun 28 10:10:14 PDT 2006

Daniel Lezcano wrote:

>>> This is a question that brings up another level of interaction between
>>> networking and the rest of kernel code.
>>> Solution that I use now makes the NFS communication part always run in
>>> the root namespace.  This is discussable, of course, but it's a far more
>>> complicated matter than just device lists or routing :)
>>

>> if we had containers (not namespaces) then it would be also possible
>> to run NFS in context of the appropriate container and thus each user
>> could  mount NFS itself with correct networking context.

With a relatively small patch, I was able to make NFS bind to a particular
local IP (poor man's namespace with existing code).  I also changed it so
that multiple mounts to the same destination (and with unique local mount
points) are treated as unique mounts.  This patch was done so that I could
stress test NFS servers, but similar logic might work for namespace isolation
as well...

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>