[Devel] Re: [patch 2/6] [Network namespace] Network device sharing by view

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed Jun 28 08:36:40 PDT 2006

Herbert Poetzl <herbert at 13thfloor.at> writes:

> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 06:31:05PM +1200, Sam Vilain wrote:
>> Eric W. Biederman wrote:
>> > Have a few more network interfaces for a layer 2 solution
>> > is fundamental.  Believing without proof and after arguments
>> > to the contrary that you have not contradicted that a layer 2
>> > solution is inherently slower is non-productive.  Arguing
>> > that a layer 2 only solution most prove itself on guest to guest
>> > communication is also non-productive.
>> >

>> Yes, it does break what some people consider to be a sanity condition
>> when you don't have loopback anymore within a guest. I once experimented
>> with using 127.* addresses for per-guest loopback devices with vserver
>> to fix this, but that couldn't work without fixing glibc to not make
>> assumptions deep in the bowels of the resolver. I logged a fault with
>> gnu.org and you can guess where it went :-).
>
> this is what the lo* patches address, by providing
> the required loopback isolation and providing lo
> inside a guest (i.e. it looks and feels like a
> normal system, except that you cannot modify the
> interfaces from inside)

Ok.  This is new.  How do you talk between guests now?
Before those patches it was through IP addresses on the loopback interface
as I recall.

>> > With a guest with 4 IPs
>> > 10.0.0.1 192.168.0.1 172.16.0.1 127.0.0.1
>> > How do you make INADDR_ANY work with just filtering at bind time?
>> >

>> It used to just bind to the first one. Don't know if it still does.
>
> no, it _alway_ binds to INADDR_ANY and checks
> against other sockets (in the same context)
> comparing the lists of assigned IPs (the subset)
>
> so all checks happen at bind/connect time and
> always against the set of IPs, only exception is
> a performance optimization we do for single IP
> guests (where INADDR_ANY gets rewritten to the
> single IP)

What is the mechanism there?

My rough extrapolation says this mechanism causes problems when
migrating between machines.  In particular it sounds like
only one process can bind to *:80, even if it is only allowed
to accept connections from a subset of those IPs.

So if on another machine I bound something to *:80 and only allowed to
use a different set of IPs and then attempted to migrate it, the
migration would fail because I could not restart the application,
with all of it's layer 3 resources.

To be clear I assume when I migrate I always take my IP address or
addresses with me.

Eric