[Devel] RE: Container Test Campaign

Marc E. Fiuczynski mef at CS.Princeton.EDU
Mon Jun 26 01:57:19 PDT 2006

> Mark Huang wrote:
>> Cedric Le Goater wrote:
>> Did you contribute that feature to vserver ?
>
> The feature is fairly specific to our needs and would not be very
> useful to the most common vserver use case (shared hosting).

Indeed this is true. However, it would enable containers to be used on linux
desktop/laptop/cellphone users, as they provide a nice clean way to keep
third party software separate/protected from the base installation.  In such
environments (assuming IPv6 cannot be used) it would simplify matters if the
containers could share a global IP address vs. needing to do NAT traversal
and requiring supernodes for things like skype etc.. While this might not be
the targeted usage scenario for the moment, I would not ignore this segment.

Marc