[Devel] Re: [patch 2/6] [Network namespace] Network device sharing by view

jamal hadi at cyberus.ca
Wed Jun 28 09:17:35 PDT 2006

Andrey,

On Wed, 2006-28-06 at 18:19 +0400, Andrey Savochkin wrote:
> Hi Jamal,
>
> On Wed, Jun 28, 2006 at 09:53:23AM -0400, jamal wrote:
> >

> Seeing guestXX-eth0 interfaces by standard tools has certain attractive
> sides.  But it creates a lot of undesired side effects.

I apologize because i butted into the discussion without perhaps reading
the full thread.

> For example, ntpd queries all network devices by the same ioctls as ifconfig,
> and creates separate sockets bound to IP addresses of each device, which is
> certainly not desired with namespaces.

Ok, so the problem is that ntp in this case runs on the host side as
opposed to the guest? This would explain why Eric is reacting vehemently
to the suggestion.

> Or more subtle question: do you want hotplug events to be generated when
> guest0-eth0 interface comes up in the root namespace, and standard scripts
> to try to set some IP address on this interface?..

yes, thats what i was thinking. Even go further and actually create
guestxx-eth0 on the host (which results in creating eth0 on the guest)
and other things.

> In my opinion, the downside of this scheme overweights possible advantages,
> and I'm personally quite happy with running commands with switched namespace,
> like
> vzctl exec guest0 ip addr list
> vzctl exec guest0 ip link set eth0 up
> and so on.

Ok, above may be good enough and doesnt require any state it seems on
the host side.
I got motivated when the word "migration" was mentioned. I understood it
to be meaning that a guest may become inoperative for some reason and
that its info will be transfered to another guest which may be local or
even remote. In such a case, clearly one would need a protocol and the
state of all guests sitting at the host. Maybe i am over-reaching.

cheers,
jamal