[Devel] Re: Container Test Campaign

Serge E. Hallyn serue at us.ibm.com
Thu Jun 22 04:31:35 PDT 2006

Quoting Marc E. Fiuczynski (mef at CS.Princeton.EDU):
> Hi Clement,
>
> You mention that testing isolation properties is more of an extra than an
> immediate criteria.  Based on our experience, this actually is a fairly
> important criteria.  Without decent isolation (both from a namespace and

As we develop our own patches for upstream inclusion, we will also be
writing testcases to verify isolation, but obviously sitting down and
writing such testcases for every c/r implementation is not something we
can commit to  :)

OTOH, perhaps we can collaborate on a test wrapper.  This would require
details to be filled in by each implementation's owner, but would save
us from each having to come up with the boundary conditions.  For
instance, my testcase for the utsname patches which are in -mm is
attached.  While the testcase is specific to that implementation, by
abstracting the "start a new container" command into a variable which
can be filled in for vserver, openvz, etc, we might be able to come up
with a generic utsname resource testing shell which can be easily filled
in to work for each implementation.

Just a thought.

-serge