[Vserver] Re: [Devel] Container Test Campaign

Gerrit Huizenga gh at us.ibm.com
Wed Jul 5 15:37:45 PDT 2006

On Wed, 05 Jul 2006 14:43:17 +0400, Kirill Korotaev wrote:

> >>I assuming you are doing your tests on the same system (i.e. same
> >>compiler/libs/whatever else), and you do not change that system over
> >>time (i.e. you do not upgrade gcc on it in between the tests).
> >

> > I hope! :)
>
> All binaries should be built statically to work the same way inside host/guest or
> you need to make sure that you have exactly the same versions of glibc and other
> system libraries. At least glibc can affect perforamnce very much :/

Ick - no one builds binaries statically in the real world.  And,
when you build binaries statically, you lose all ability to fix
security problems in base libraries by doing an update of that library.
Instead, all applications need to be rebuilt.

Performance tests should reflect real end user usage - not contrived
situations that make a particular solution look better or worse.
If glibc can affect performance, that should be demonstrated in the
real performance results - it is part of the impact of the solution and
may need an additional solution or discussion.

gerrit