[Vserver] Re: [Devel] Container Test Campaign

Cedric Le Goater clg at fr.ibm.com
Tue Jul 4 08:28:53 PDT 2006

Kirill Korotaev wrote:

> For OpenVZ it is also possible to test different subsytems separately
> (virtualization/isolation, resource management, disk quota, CPU scheduler).
> I would notice also, that in OpenVZ all these features are ON by default.

hmm, we didn't realize that. Good, it will make the results even more
relevant. Any pointers on how these light virtualized/isolated environment,
similar to vserver chontext, can be set up ?

> So I probably miss something, but why we test other technologies in
> modes when not all the features are ON ? in this case we compare not
> the real overhead, but the one minimized for this concrete benchmark.

you must know how much time it takes to set up such an environment. it's
just a beginning. Clement is currently running tests on openvz stable, full
vserver and adding new tests on dbench to take into account your remarks.

we want to add tests and also namespace patchsets to the matrix. If you
have some time, please send us some of your material, that'll be nice.

> It's just like comparing with Xen Domain0 which doesn't have any overhead,
> but not because it is a good technology, but rather because it doesn't do
> anything valuable.

Xen Domain0 has overhead.

> BTW, comparing with Xen would be interesting as well. Just to show the
> difference.

We've done that in the OLS paper, soon to come, but we'll add the results
to lxc.sf.net before ols. You can also check this paper :

http://list.linux-vserver.org/archive/vserver/msg13234.html

thanks,

C.