[Devel] Re: The issues for agreeing on a virtualization/namespaces implementation.

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Tue Feb 7 19:52:15 PST 2006

"Serge E. Hallyn" <serue at us.ibm.com> writes:

> What I tried to do in a proof of concept long ago was to have
> CLONE_NETNS mean that you get access to all the network devices, but
> then you could drop/add them.  Conceptually I prefer that to getting an
> empty namespace, but I'm not sure whether there's any practical use
> where you'd want that...

My observation was that the network stack does not come out cleanly
as a namespace unless you adopt the rule that a network device
belongs to exactly one network namespace.

With that rule dealing with the network stack is just a matter of making
some currently global variables/data structures per container.

A pain to do the first round but easy to maintain once you are there
and the logic of the code doesn't need to change.

Eric