[Devel] Re: semantics for namespace naming

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Sun Dec 17 11:18:01 PST 2006

On Thu, Dec 14, 2006 at 09:36:31AM -0600, Serge E. Hallyn wrote:

[lot of stuff zapped here]

> Quoting Cedric Le Goater (clg at fr.ibm.com):
> > how do you enter only a subset of namespaces of a nsproxy/container
> > and not all of it ?
>
> one container corresponds to one nsproxy which is one set of
> namespaces. Are you asking how you would only switch your pid
> namespace but keep your network namespace as the original?
>
> I'm not sure that's something we want/need to support.

I can, we use this for several purposes, one is to
extend or modify the VFS namespace by mounting or
unmounting filesystems _into_ the guest

> (Can you cite a use case?)

> But since I haven't specified how to ask for the nsproxy switch
> anyway, it's too early to ask how we add a flag to specify a
> namespace subset :)

we (Linux-VServer) extended the set/enter_namespace
command to take a flag mask similar to unshare
(only 64bit wide :) to allow for 'selecting' the
proper spaces

note: the nsproxy a context is referring to can also
be changed this way, and a priviledged process can
enter each guest space separately ...

[more stuff zapped here]

best,
Herbert