[Devel] Re: [RFC] L3 network isolation : broadcast

Vlad Yasevich vladislav.yasevich at hp.com
Thu Dec 14 07:14:32 PST 2006

Daniel

Thanks.  I think I just now found all this in the code (too much code to look at :)

Daniel Lezcano wrote:
[ snip ]

>> If yes, then below approach will work.  If no, then we'll need
>> something else
>> since both L2s should get the packet in their own right.
>
> It is a critical path for broadcast and multicast incoming traffic,
> should I implement this approach and we try to optimize that later ?
>
>>> The solution I see here is:
>>>
>>> if namespace is l3 then;
>>>     net_ns match any net_ns registered as listening on this address
>>> else
>>>     net_ns_match
>>> fi
>>>
>>> The registered network namespace is a list shared between brothers l3
>>> namespaces. This will add more overhead for sure. Does anyone have
>>> comments on that or perhaps a better solution ?

In the above solution, you'll need to account for wildcard binds as well.

So, for l3, a match is  ( !rcv_saddr || rcv_saddr == loc_addr).

Should be easy enough with the right arguments.  My suggestion is to
make broadcast case use a different match macro/function.

-vlad