[Devel] Re: Processes with multiple pid_t values

Herbert Poetzl herbert at 13thfloor.at
Wed Dec 13 00:10:24 PST 2006

On Tue, Dec 12, 2006 at 02:34:20PM -0700, Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> "Serge E. Hallyn" <serue at us.ibm.com> writes:
>
> > Sigh, here we go back again to the question of what to do in the case
> > of a lightweight container which doesn't have a /sbin/init.  Let's say
> > I do
> > 	spawn_container(fork_and_exit(sleep 30m));
> >
> > so pid 1 forks, pid 2 sleeps 30 minutes, but pid 1 exits right after
> > the fork.  What do we do?  Create an idle pid 1?  Tack a struct pid
> > to the parent namespaces' pid=1 making it pid=1 for the child namespace?

it would be perfectly fine, as long as the following is true:

 - only the pid remains, not the associated task
 - a 'fallback' reaper takes care of reaping the
   children (in the lightweight case)
 - the task creating the container does not need
   to 'hang' around outside the container

> I was thinking whoever called spawn container would be pid 1.
> But I agree that is only a partial solution.

> It definitely makes sense to worry about this question later when all
> of the rest of the details for system containers are sorted out.

okay, as long as 'we' do not forget about this
on the way ...

best,
Herbert