[Devel] Re: [patch -mm 08/17] nsproxy: add hashtable

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Fri Dec 8 23:54:26 PST 2006

Herbert Poetzl <herbert at 13thfloor.at> writes:

>> There are two possible ways.
>> 1) Just use a process using the namespace.
>>    This is easiest to implement.
>
>> 2) Have a struct pid reference in the namespace itself,
>>    and probably an extra pointer in struct pid to find it.
>>    This is the most stable, because fork/exit won't affect
>>    which pid you need to use.
>
> that 'can' be an nsproxy or something different, but
> I'm absolutely unhappy with tying it to a process,
> as I already mentioned several times, that lightweight
> 'containers' do not use/have an init process, and no
> single process might survive the entire life span of
> that 'container' ...

Herbert think of a session id.  That is a pid that is
tied to something besides a single process.

It is easy and recursion safe to tie a pid to a namespace
or anything else that make sense, as I suggested above.

The pid namespace feels like the right place for this kind
of activity.

>> Beyond that yes it seems to make sense to let user space
>> maintain any mapping of containers to ids.
>
> I agree with that, but we need something to move
> around between the various spaces ...

If you have CAP_SYS_PTRACE or you have a child process
in a container you can create another with ptrace.

Now I don't mind optimizing that case, with something like
the proposed bind_ns syscall.  But we need to be darn certain
why it is safe, and does not change the security model that
we currently have.

I have not seen that discussion yet, and until I do I have
serious concerns.  That discussion needs to be on lkml as
well.  Why did Al Viro think this was a bad idea when it
was proposed for the mount namespace?

This is where you are on the edge of some very weird interface
interactions.  Without suid programs it would be completely safe
for anyone to unshare their mount namespace.  With suid programs
allowed an unprivileged unshare mount namespace unshare is next to
impossible.

> for example, Linux-VServer ties the namespaces to
> the context structure (atm) which allows userspace
> to set and enter specific spaces of a guest context
> (I assume OpenVZ does similar)

Yep, and we certainly need to find a way to fulfill this usage
requirement.

Eric